Wednesday 25 July 2007

An Ode to Plymouth - Part 1 Plymouth Hoe

Its July 25th - the height of summer however I'm sat here looking out of my lounge window towards the sea (which is only 2km away) but is completely invisible behind cloud. Its cold, the wind is blowing a hooligan and its chucking it down. Oh I am so glad I took extra time off to enjoy the summer a bit before moving away. Neil - you may wanna turn around and go back to Australia now - your winters are better than this.

Moan moan moan. So despite its tired facade, its over-population of chavs (and subsequently, pushchairs) and perennial dodgy weather, Plymouth does have some good bits. I will try and capture as much as possible before we leave for Switzerland and give the old city a good send off.


So on a comparatively sunny day a week ago, we decided on a walk into town for ice cream (oh such a carefree life). We decided on Thorntons (what great value for money too) and the Rhubarb Crumble and Chocolate heaven flavours did not disappoint. The fudge sticks rock too. I do hope Geneva ice cream is at least as good as that. The local bird life, in particular the seagulls (shitehawks if you prefer) took a bit of interest too. I must give them a mention as they do dominate the town and the shore a bit however compared with some places they are not as aggressive - it must be the relaxing Devon lifestyle and the abundance of food (namely at chelson meadow tip).

Afterwards we strolled up to the Hoe, Plymouth's iconic and probably only defining feature and started snapping away. It is always a breath of fresh air (sometimes quite literally) to spend a moment on the Hoe with its open expanse and great 360 degree views of Plymouth Sound and the sea beyond, Cornwall, Staddon Heights, Mount Batten and even Dartmoor.
There is always something going on, whether its boats in the sound or events on the Hoe itself which will distract your attention and let you forget about your day to day worries (if you have any that is!).

VĂ©ro remembers the first time she went there, not having seen the sea (other than Dover ferry crossings) for many years and she said it blew her away. Being a local I have always kind of taken it for granted but through the eye of a lens you can see why it draws such reactions from visitors.


My earliest memory of the hoe was West Hoe Park and in particular the 'bunny trains'. My Auntie brought me up there when she used to look after me as a toddler/pre-schooler and would always let me ride the trains. That was in the mid-70s and they are still there now. The rabbits may have changed but it is still as popular as ever. I must have a go before I leave - I must borrow Beth and use her as an excuse to get on.

The most iconic feature is Smeatons Tower (or the 'light-owse on the 'oe') - it is really quite photogenic with the red and white stripes sat on a emerald green grass (always green - trust me its all the rain) set against a deep blue backdrop (on about 6 days a year when the sun is out). I did climb it once - maybe something to be done again soon.





There are other statues and memorials, as well as the Drake's (so-called) bowling green and the old citadel which give the Hoe a quite eclectic but deeply historical feel. There's also Tinside pool - refurbished recently but still retaining its 'classic' look. Now I don't remember having ever tried the pool - for most of the summer when it is open only the brave and foolish will try and swim in there. Everyone else mainly looks at it from above saying 'look at those idiots - you'll never catch me in there'. Unless starting tomorrow we have 3 weeks of heatwave and it is sufficiently warm enough to dip my toe, I do not think I will ever have the pleasure. I blame global drowning, sorry, warming.





There's always plenty of eating options too with a variety of ice cream to be had. The best has to be the raspberry and clotted cream sundaes.
I had one yesterday and it was delicious. Oh we are back to food again - boy do I have a one track mind....must be lunchtime soon.

No comments: